bhinnek tunggal ik
kaavi bhaasha mein likha bhinnek tunggal ik Indonesia ka aadarsh vaakya hai. iska arth hai: bhinnata parantu ekatv yeh majaapahit saamraajya ke kaal mein 14veen shataabdi ke ek kaakavin sutasom kaavya se hai.
This quotation comes from canto 139, stanza 5. The full stanza reads as follows:
- Rwâaneka dhâaatu winuwus Buddha Wiswa,
- Bhinnêaki rakwa ring apan kena parwanosen,
- Mangka ng Jinatwa kalawan Siwatatwa tunggal,
- Bhinnêaka tunggal ika tan hana dharma mangrwa.
- It is said that the well-known Buddha and Shiva are two different substances.
- They are indeed different, yet how is it possible to recognise their difference in a glance,
- since the truth of Jina (buddh) and the truth of Shiv is one.
- They are indeed different, but they are of the same kind, as there is no duality in Truth.
This translation is based, with minor adaptations, on the critical text edition by Dr. Soewito Santoso.
- Santoso, Soewito Sutasoma, a Study in Old Javanese Wajrayana 1975:578. New Delhi: International Academy of Indian Culture.